Archive for the ‘ Articles ’ Category

 

What should you do if you’re sued for a debt?

Read full article | No Comments

Credit card and debt collection lawsuits are amongst the most prevalent in the country.  In some jurisdictions, more than half of all lawsuits filed are brought in an attempt to collect an alleged consumer debt. In upwards of 80-90% of these cases, the collectors win by default – and that is what they are hoping [...]

Read More

Don’t belief the myth that “They are all deadbeats”

Read full article | No Comments

Many people are under the impression that if a company is trying to collect from someone, they must be a deadbeat. The truth is that over 97% of consumers pay their bills on time. Of the remaining 3%, almost all have fallen behind because of extenuating factors. Most were either laid off from a job, [...]

Read More

Night of the Living (Dead) Debt

Read full article | No Comments

Zombie debt is old debt that was dead and came back to life – many times as a result of the naivety and unsuspecting actions of a consumer. Third party debt collectors often buy debt which should be dead or uncollectable, because of lapse of time, settlement, discharge in bankruptcy, or other reasons, but is [...]

Read More

How many lawsuits?

Read full article | No Comments

Is it possible that there are more debt collection lawsuits filed in the United States than all others combined? Debt collectors abuse consumers, and they abuse the legal system as well. A study published in 2008 in the Florida Law Review observed that Virginia, with a population of about 7 million, is inundated with more [...]

Read More

How to Best Deal with Aggressive Debt Collectors

Read full article | No Comments

I recently posted a guest blog on another site on this topic. Please see: http://getoutofdebt.org/44442/how-to-best-deal-with-aggressive-debt-collectors

Read More

Is a debt collector calling your cell phone?

Read full article | No Comments

Did you know that it is unlawful for a debt collector to call you on your cell phone without your express permission? Not only that, but EACH TIME a debt collector calls you unlawfully on your cell phone, you may be entitled to up to $1,500 per call. A debt collector who calls you using [...]

Read More

Beware of Scam Debt Collectors

Read full article | 2 Comments

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) recently shutdown two scam companies using call centers in India to bilk intimidated consumers out of more than $5 million. These scammers posed as debt collectors and made over 8 million phone calls to unsuspecting consumers. In large part, they targeted “debtors,” who didn’t even owe any debt. According to [...]

Read More

Is that Debt Collector breaking the law?

Read full article | No Comments

  Getting a call from someone you don’t know telling you that you owe them money is not fun. It’s less fun, when the call comes to your cell phone, at work, or at an odd hour of the day. It’s even worse, when the collector threatens you, is rude or offensive. Maybe that call [...]

Read More