Don’t belief the myth that “They are all deadbeats”

Many people are under the impression that if a company is trying to collect from someone, they must be a deadbeat.

The truth is that over 97% of consumers pay their bills on time. Of the remaining 3%, almost all have fallen behind because of extenuating factors. Most were either laid off from a job, became sick or disabled, are struggling with a family break up, or were the subject of aggressive marketing of excessive credit. Less than one in a thousand can pay a claimed debt but won’t.

Despite these facts, nearly 1 in 7 people is being hounded a debt collector.

Many times debt collectors try to collect from the wrong person. Other times, they seek to collect the wrong amount or on a disputed account. Still others are trying to revitalize a stale debt – one that is 3 to 15 years old or older, one that the original creditor and consumer forgot about long ago, or one that was discharged in bankruptcy. Would you remember a $100 charge on account from 13 years ago that perhaps you closed and now a third party is claiming you never completely paid off?

Don’t buy into the myth that people with credit problems are deadbeats. You would never want to fall behind on your obligations and fall into debt. Why would anyone else want this?

Instead, if you hear that someone you know might be in trouble, help them. All consumers have the right to be treated with respect and dignity, regardless of their financial situation. If someone is not being treated this way, let them know that a consumer law attorney can help them get back on their feet again.

Leave a Reply

This entry was posted on Tuesday, October 30th, 2012 at 11:29 am and is filed under Articles. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.